We had lunch at N's place where she had the Nowruz items arranged. Everything begins with "S" in Farsi.
Nowruz (Persian: نوروز) is the name of the Iranian New Year in Iranian calendars and the corresponding traditional celebrations. Nowruz is also widely referred to as the "Persian New Year".
Haft Sîn (Persian: هفت سین) or the seven 'S's is a major traditional table setting of Nowruz, the traditional Iranian spring celebration. The haft sin table includes seven items starting with the letter 'S' or Sīn (س) in the Persian alphabet.
The "Haft Chin" items are:
- 1. Mirror - symbolizing Sky
- 2. Apple - symbolizing Earth
- 3. Candles - symbolizing Fire
- 4. Golab - rose water symbolizing Water
- 5. Sabzeh - wheat, or barley sprouts symbolizing Plants
- 6. Goldfish - symbolizing Animals
- 7. Painted Eggs - symbolizing Humans and Fertility